Dr. Paul J. Cagle Top Shoulder & Sports Medicine Doctor in NYC and Brooklyn
Paul J. Cagle, MD, FAAOS is an Internationally Recognized Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon Specialist. Dr. Cagle is an Assistant Professor and the Associate Program Director of the Orthopedics Surgery Program at prestigious Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. He specializes in Shoulder Surgery, Sports Medicine and Elbow Surgery. Dr. Cagle is a top-rated surgeon recognized as a Super Doctor, Castle Connolly Top Doctor, New York Top Doctor and as a New York State Trooper/Police Surgeon. He has been quoted in the New York Post, the New York Daily News and Newsday.
Dr. Cagle has published over 30 peer-reviewed scientific articles and book chapters and has presented nationally and internationally at scientific conferences. He holds patent rights for medical device development and continues to be at the forefront of medical education.
During his collegiate years, Dr. Cagle was a two-time Academic All-America Scholar Athlete in the sport of Football, and he reflects on these years to help understand and treat athletes at all levels today. He attended medical school in his home town of Chicago at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine. He also completed world renowned surgical fellowships in New York City and Lyon, France. During medical school Dr. Cagle was a recipient of the Arnold P. Gold Humanism and Excellence Award. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, an emerging leader in the American Orthopaedic Association and an elected member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons.
Dr. Cagle’s has expertise and a special interest in:
- Sports Injuries
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Shoulder Arthritis and Shoulder Total Joint Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement
- Shoulder Instability/Shoulder Dislocation/Shoulder Separation
- Latarjet Procedures
- Shoulder Fractures and Clavicle Fractures
- Labral Tears
- Biceps Tears and Biceps Ruptures
- Pectoralis Tendon Tears and Pectoralis Ruptures
- Second Opinions
- Revision Surgery
Dr. Cagle’s Approach: “I feel truly privileged to use the knowledge and experience I have gained through working with true leaders in the field of surgery to provide thoughtful, timely and advanced care to my patients. My commitment is to always be mindful of my patient’s family, occupational and personal needs while improving their lives and conditions as quickly and safely as is possible. I believe in a team centered approach offering and utilizing nonsurgical treatments first and surgical interventions only when absolutely necessary. Each person is an individual, and they deserve a treatment plan designed for them.”
- US Open Tennis – “Most Common Injuries in Tennis Players” Live Mt Sinai Interview with Paul Cagle.
- Tranexamic acid and Total Shoulder Replacement at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual meeting
- Mazzeo, Mike. (2017, March 20). Didi Gregorius returning to Yankees camp after injuring shoulder at World Baseball Classic. New York Daily News.
- Kernan, Kevin and George A. King III. (2017, March 20). Yankees hold breath after Didi Gregorius’ WBC injury. New York Post.
- Rieber, Anthony. (2017, March 20). Yankees’ Didi Gregorius to return to Tampa, have ailing right shoulder examined. Newsday.
- Shoulder Fellowship at Private Hospital Jean Mermoz/Centre Orthopaedic Santy –Lyon, France
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Mount Sinai Hospital – New York, NY
- University of Minnesota Academic Health Center and Medical School Orthopaedic Surgery Residency – Minneapolis, MN
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine Medical Doctorate – Chicago, Illinois
- Board Certified Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Assistant Professor and Associate Program Director in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- New York
- Zastrow RK, London DA, Parsons BO, Cagle PJ. Superior Capsule Reconstruction for Massive Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears: A Systematic Review. Arthroscopy. 2019;35(8):2525-2534.
- Cagle PJ, Werner B, Shukla DR, London D, Parsons BO, Millar NL. Interobserver and Intraobserver comparison of imaging glenoid morphology, glenoid version and humeral head subluxation. Shoulder Elbow. 2019;11(3):204-209.
- Meaike JJ, Patterson DC, Anthony SG, Parsons BO, Cagle PJ. Soft tissue resurfacing for glenohumeral arthritis: A systematic review of the literature. Shoulder Elbow. 2019 May; 0:1-9. Epub ahead of print
- Huang HH, Cagle PJ Jr, Mazumdar M, Poeran J. Statistics in Brief: Instrumental Variable Analysis: An Underutilized Method in Orthopaedic Research. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019 Apr 29. Epub ahead of print
- Chan JJ, Cirino C, Poeran J, Huang H, Mazumdar M, Galatz LM, Parsons BO, Anthony SG, Cagle PJ. Drain Use is Associated with Increased Odds of Blood Transfusion in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Population-Based Study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019 Apr 9. Epub ahead of print
- Anthony SG, Patterson DC, Cagle PJ Jr, Poeran J, Zubizarreta N, Mazumdar M, Galatz LM. Utilization and Real-world Effectiveness of Tranexamic Use in Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Population-based Study. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019 Apr 5. Epub ahead of print
- Patterson D, Chi D, Parsons BO, Cagle PJ. Acromial Fractures After Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Nov 26. Epub ahead of print
- Patterson DC, Cagle PJ, Poeran J, Zubizarreta N, Mazumdar M, Galatz LM, Anthony SG. Effectiveness of intravenous acetaminophen for postoperative pain management in shoulder arthroplasties: a population-based study. J Ortho Translation. 2018 October 16. Epub ahead of print.
- Cagle PJ, London DA, Gluck MJ, Morel S, Parsons BO. Long Head of Biceps Tenodesis at the Superior Aspect of the Biceps Groove: A Biomechanical Comparison of Inlay and Onlay Techniques – Shoulder Elbow. 2018 December; 5:1-6. Epub ahead of print
- Sayeed Z, Anoushiravani AA, El-Othmani MM, Barinaga G, Sayeed Y, Cagle P Jr., Saleh KJ. Implementation of a Hip Fracture Care Pathway Using Six Sigma Methodology at a Level One Academic Center. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 October;4. Epub ahead of print
- Cagle PJ, Reizner W, Parsons BO. A Technique for Humeral Prosthesis Placement in Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty for Fracture. Shoulder Elbow. 2018 August;1:1-6. Epub ahead of print
- Keswani A, Chi D, Lovy AJ, Cagle PJ, Galatz L, Bosco J. Risk factors for and timing of adverse events after revision total shoulder arthroplasty. Shoulder Elbow. 2018 June; 3:1-6. Epub ahead of print
- Cagle PJ, Olujimi V, Parsons BO. Arthroscopic Treatment of Labral Tears: A Critical Analysis Review. JBJS Rec. 2018;6(4): e4.
- Cagle PJ, Skukla DR, Parsons BO. Deltoid Compartment Syndrome following Shoulder Arthroscopy: A Case Report. Clin Arch Bone Joint Dis. 2018;1(1):1-3.
- Neviaser AS, Patterson DC, Cagle PJ, Parsons BO, Flatow EL, MD. Anatomic Landmarks for Arthroscopic Suprapectoral Biceps Tenodesis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Feb 27. Epub ahead of print.
- Gluck MJ, Vijayaraghavan S, Sinclair EB, Ashraf A, Hausman MR, Cagle PJ. Detecting Structural and Inflammatory Response After In Vivo Stretch Injury in the Rat Median Nerve via Second Harmonic Generation. J Neurosci Methods. 2018; 303:68-80.
- Olujimi V, Cagle P, Kazemi N, Flatow E. Open Unconstrained Revision Shoulder Arthroplasty. Lee, D and Neviaser RJ. Operative Techniques in Shoulder Arthroplasty. 2nd edition. Elsevier. 2018:119-132.
- Barinaga G, Sayeed Z, Anoushiravani AA, Wright E, El-Othmani MM, Cagle PJ, Saleh KJ. The Effect of Payer Type, Disposition, and Day of Surgery on Resource Consumption following Hip Fracture Care. J Hip Surg. 2017; 1:80-86.
- Morgenstern KD, Barinaga G, Cagle PJ. Throwers Fracture of the Humerus: An Investigation of Risk Factors Following an Unlikely Case. JBJS Case Connect. 2017;7(2):e35.
- Barinaga G, Wright E, Cagle PJ, Anoushiravani AA, Sayeed Z, Chambers MC, El-Othmani MM, Saleh KJ. Effect of Time of Operation on Hip Fracture Outcomes: A Retrospective Analysis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017;25(1):55-60.
- Fitzpatrick D, Cagle P, Flatow E. Isolated Teres Major Rupture: A case report with a suggested dedicated imaging protocol and review of the literature. J Radiol Case Rep. 2016;30(4):31-36.
- Obermeyer T, Cagle P, Parsons B, Flatow E. Mid-term follow-up of Ingrowth Tantalum Glenoid Components in the Total Shoulder Arthroplasty System. Am J Orthop. 2015;44(9): E340-E342.
- Cagle P, Patton J, Beck R, Braman J. Lesser Tuberosity Osteotomy vs Soft Tissue Release in Shoulder Arthroplasty: a systematic review. Tech Should Surg. 2015; 16:47-51.
- Ratcliffe A, Butler DL, Dyment NA, Cagle P, Proctor CS, Ratcliffe SS, Flatow EL. Scaffolds for Tendon and Ligament Repair and Regeneration. Ann Biomed Eng. 2015; 43:819-831.
- Cagle PJ, Shukla DR, Parsons BO, Flatow EL. Subscapularis Repair after Shoulder Arthroplasty. Tech Should Surg. 2015;16:38-42.
- Bell R, Taub PJ, Cagle P, Flatow EL, Andarawis-Puri N. Development of a Mouse Model of Supraspinatus Tendon Insertion Site Healing. J Orthop Res. 2015;33(1):25-32.
- Cagle P, Shukla D, Flatow E. Glenoid Bone Grafting with Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Tech Should Surg. 2014; 15:134-138.
- Cagle P, Parsons B, Flatow E. Managing Glenoid Bone Loss Virtual Surgery – A software solution. Semin Arthroplasty. 2014;25(1):38-43.
- Cagle PJ, Flatow EL, Parsons BO. Proximal Humerus Fractures Should be Treated with a Reverse Shoulder Replacement. Semin Arthroplasty. 2014;25(1):17-21.
- Cagle PJ, Reams M, Agel J, Bohn D. An Outcomes Protocol for Carpal Tunnel Release: A Comparison of Outcomes in Patients with and without Medical Comorbidities. J Hand Surg. 2014;39(11):2175-2180.
- Harrison AK, Cagle P, Braman JP. Arthroscopic Release of the Stiff Arthroplasty. Tech Should Surg. 2013; 14:85-87.
- Shukla DR, Cagle P, Parsons BO. Rehabilitation after rotator cuff repair. World Clin Orthoped. 2014;1(2):284-295.
- Cagle PJ, Flatow EL. Zimmer Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Eds. Frankle M, Marberry S, Pupello D. Biomechanics, Clinical Techniques, and Current Technologies. Springer International Publishing. 2015:449-458.
- Cagle P, Klug RA, Parsons B, Flatow E. Pectoralis Major Transfer for Long Thoracic Nerve Palsy. Eds. Wiesel S. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery 2nd Wolters Kluwer, China;2015:3877-3884.
- Solomon D, Cong G, Cagle P. A Review of Shoulder Injuries in Young Athletes. Annals of Joint. 2018; 3:13.
425 West 59th Street
New York, NY 10019
Office Hours: Monday 8AM-5PM , Wednesday 1PM-5PM, Friday 9AM - 1PM
300 Cadman Plaza West
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Office Hours: Wednesday 8PM-12PM